From the Blog

Brexit FAQs

UPDATED FEB 1st 2020:  Now that the UK has officially left the European Union, will anything change for my holiday in France? We put some FAQs to Spring Harvest Holidays CEO Steve May-Miller.

Will I need a visa to visit France this year?

The EU & UK have confirmed we’ll continue to have visa-free travel this year at least. There are seventeen million visits to France by UK residents each year and France is keen to retain our tourist business – so it’s pretty unlikely that France will impose any significant barriers to entry, even in the long term.

There is a lot of talk about border delays. Am I likely to be held up by immigration and passport checks?

It may take a little longer to get through passport and customs controls but personally I doubt they will be any worse than an ordinary day on the M25.  I and my colleagues will be trying the borders for ourselves in the coming weeks and we’ll let you know of any concerns.

Will my UK driving license be valid in France?

Certainly yes in 2020.  Beyond that, everything depends on the arrangements that are negotiated for this and thousands of other situations. At worse, we may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for driving in the EU. I obtained one last year for driving in Montenegro – it involved a visit to the Post Office with my UK driving license and photo ID, a cost of £5.50 and about six minutes of my time.

What about my car insurance?

This should be fine, with arrangements unchanged in 2020. However the Association of British Insurers is advising motorists to obtain and take a Green Card, as we used to some years ago. You get this from your insurance company, usually at no cost. It’s not a card by the way although it should be printed on green paper. The RAC tells me that European insurers have agreed that Green Cards won’t be needed but the EU needs to approve this decision. We advise you to check all your insurance plans, including breakdown insurance and accident claims process, before your holiday.

Will I still be able to use my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover most medical situations?

Yes. EHIC and health provision arrangements are unchanged to the end of 2020. Always check your travel insurance carefully, especially for pre-existing medical conditions.

And finally…..

You will need a GB sticker. The GB and EU flag on your number plate no longer suffice. Don’t worry, we’ll send you one before your departure date. And it won’t fade in the Vendée sunshine 😉

The answers above are the personal views of our CEO. You are advised to check relevant UK Government advice and your insurance documents before travel.

Click to access the login or register cheese